The IBEW Local 5 Registered Apprenticeship Program is a five-year program that combines on-the-job training with classroom instruction from accredited professionals.
Applicants must complete the application in person at the Pittsburgh or Clearfield Training Facility on designated dates and times. The applicant must score in the top one third of all applicants testing to qualify for an interview. After an application is turned in, it is reviewed and selected by committee for aptitude testing. The candidate will then have to complete an interview with the committee. If the committee sees you as an ideal candidate after the interview, candidates are then subject to a physical, substance and color blindness test.
The application selection process only occurs once per year. Once a candidate is accepted, they will become an apprentice in the Western Pennsylvania Electrical Apprenticeship Program.
Timeline for 2020 Application Process:
Pittsburgh Training Center
5 Hot Metal Street, Suite 100
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
- March 10 – 14, 2020, Tuesday – Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- March 17 – 21, 2020, Tuesday – Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Clearfield Training Center
1400 Leonard Street
- March 14 and 21, 2020 Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 1 p m.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants shall be in good health, of average intelligence, conscientious and interested in learning the trade.
- Must be 18 years old, as of June 30, 2020.
- Must be a high school graduate or hold a GED.
- Must have completed one year of high school algebra or one post high school algebra course.
- Applicant must be willing to take any tests given by or for the Committee.
- When an apprenticeship is offered, one must submit to a physical and substance testing and a test for color blindness. These tests will be administered by a doctor selected and paid for by the Committee.
- Must be a resident of one of the following counties in Pennsylvania for at least one year prior to application: Allegheny; Armstrong; Bedford; Blair; Butler; Cambria; Cameron; Centre; Clarion; Clearfield; Elk; Fayette; Fulton; Greene; Huntingdon; Indiana; Jefferson; McKean; Somerset; Venango; Washington and Westmoreland.
- A non-refundable check or money order for $25.00 (Twenty-five Dollars) will be required with the returned application. Cost of all testing and examinations to be paid by the Committee. We will not accept cash payments, check or money orders only.
- All applicants must have a Pennsylvania Driver’s License for the entire time they are in the apprenticeship program.
- The recruitment, selection, employment and training of apprentices during their apprenticeship shall be without discrimination due to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, or non-job related disabilities. The sponsor shall take affirmative action to provide equal opportunity in the apprenticeship and will operate the apprenticeship program as required under Title 29 or the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 30 and the Equal Employment Opportunity Regulations of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Please bring the following items with you to complete the application:
- Copy of your High School transcript Official or Unofficial (Not a copy of diploma) and/or your GED with scores (not a copy of the certificate).
- Your Pennsylvania Driver’s License.
- A (non-refundable) check or money order for $25.00 made payable to: Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee. We will not accept cash payments.